Friday 13 July 2007

WHAT WOULD YOU DO.........

Who knows that song.......the words have eluded me and apparently so has sleep. It is after 1a.m. according to all my watches and clocks and I am sitting in my bed blogging. Did I ever tell you that growing up is over rated- well it is. After all that, "I wish I was a grown up then I could do whatever I wanted"- that I did as a child, now I am that grown up at at kitu 1.07 a.m. what am I doing...............BLOGGING. Of all the things I could be doing- sleeping, reading, fighting poverty single handedly, aiming for world peace,what do I choose to do? Write to you.You who I have never meant,( quite possibly), you who does not necessarily have to reply, you whose space I am purposely invading but you are letting me by meeting me 70% of my way, you who may never read this but here I am writting you .

Anyway today after work I went to see this lady who I would like to call my tailor. Lakini she is the go-between me and a tailor somewhere. This lady has a shop that sells african stuff- no, not fish, unga, mchuzi mix, ketepa no, she sells kangas, slippers (the REAL ones not these ones which look like shoes made of cloth), those sponges which you use to scrub your skin and they could quite easily peel your skin in the process (you know the ones, hard as anything, when they are new.they are rolled up and sometimes you have to cut it to make it flat.- you don't know it. Okay body shop now does a "developed" version).Anyway this lady sells stuff like that.
Anyway while I am in this lady's shop, another woman "of colour" came in and boy, you have never heard two women shout at each other like these two did. I wasn't sure what to do with myself- run out of the shop or try to stop them.
I can't tell you what started off the shouting- I think there had been an episode one and then they paused. Now I came in just after the "to be continued" sign had gone up.All I know is this lady was talking to me one minute and the next she excused herself an headed for the other lady now walking in through the door. SHOUTING JUST, matusi to be exact. And while all this is going on, I am thinking "oh be the civilised one, try to calm them down" waapi, I was like, "kwani what kind of shop is this, it only has one exit and they are standing at it.should a fight break out where will I run?"

Anyway the ladies, no, the market women finished shouting, with one promising to bring back the money the other paid and the other assuring her that it's women like her that give black people a bad name. Guess what they wee fighting over..........................no, infact just kneel down and thank God first that I didn't dial 999 for the police while the shouting match was going on.

Braids...........................YOU HEARD ME-the woman who I went to see had gone to get her hair braided by the other one (keep up) and apparently the braids had started falling out over night and by day three, the braided one was bila half her braids on her head.............. and therein peace ceased to be between the two.

p.s. kwani hii spell check niya wapi..............it's pulling me up on the word "writting" and how is it spelt then? I think this spell check ni kama my "engrish" teacher in primo.

Two posts-one night. Sii I go and sleep.WHEN I GROW UP...................I WANT TO SLEEP.

14 comments:

Acolyte said...

Don't ever mess with a black woman's hair!
That's one thing I know!

egm said...

Aco is right on point there! Forget that at your own peril...

Girl next door said...

I'd be yelling too if someone had botched my hair like that! I thought the women would be arguing over somebody's husband....

Anonymous said...

reminds me of one famous quote ...."Those are some Nappy headed hos "..( don Imus ) the man later realized you dont mess a nyeuthi's kinky hair..

Princess said...

That sucks..I would be extremely livid as well if my anyone jacked up my hair!!!

Chatterly said...

LOLLL all that matusi coz of hair? yeah i know doing nonsense with another's hair is a serious matter but aiii....i thought one had stolen anothers hubby? LOLLL

Unknown said...

Thats an interesting lesson on the risks of tamparing with a black sista's hair. I'll keep that in mind.

gishungwa said...

When i grow up...that must be the most used line when we are growing up. I thought living alone all the things i would do now am grown, living alone and i cant come up with what i want to do.
I do like being all grown up though.

feather said...

might not have had the guts to shout but had anyone messed my hair, they'd have to stay away,my expression would probably kill them.

Anonymous said...

A black mamah's hair ..dont mess! I hope you didnt have her do your hair.

Anonymous said...

heh! even me i'd yell at the top of my voice till my throat goea raw..day three and ati half the braids are gone?
lakini poor you hapo katikati wondering what to do lol.

Anonymous said...

Decided to google writting just for the sake and I came up with this.

Anonymous said...

don't mess with MY hair too!

Prettylyf said...

lol eti braids falling out? ala! I'd excuse myself and leave the shop lol

I tagged you, find details on my blog :)